JoeBama has gone on the record saying that, “no amendment is absolute.” In as much as it matters, as he’s no more legitimate an arbiter of what’s Constitutional than any other American… I say this: Bullshit, and fuck right off.
What he’s really saying is: “My administration will only observe the amendments we like and can use to forward our agenda.” Hell, Joe… even your boy, Barry, understood the Bill of Rights as a “charter of negative liberties”. i.e. a limit on Federal power
Well… we can all play that game, Joe. If we are going to look at all this Constitution stuff as mutable, let’s take a look at my (I’m as much an American and arbiter of Constitutionality as you are, after all) Bill of Rights (and other amendments) preferred observances, shall we?
- I’m generally ok with this one… except where it pertains to people stomping on and burning my flag. As the man said, “the first amendment is to protect you from the government… not from me.”
- I’m all for this one and will be exercising the hell out of it. In a wholly, uninfringed fashion.
- I’m down with this one, too. Unless I know the soldier personally. In which case, he can stay for a bit. As long as he keeps his poop in a group and throws in for beer occasionally.
- Yup. Good with #4. No unreasonable searches or seizures. I’ll be the arbiter of “reasonable/unreasonable.” Thanks for understanding.
- Good here too. I reserve the right to keep my damned mouth shut. Or, not. YMMV.
- Yup. Speedy trial when necessary is good. But, .gov has been dropping the ball on this anyway. So… Figure it out. Let’s cap it at a month. If you can’t get me on to the docket by then… I’ve been acquitted.
- Ok. Jury of my peers. Only if you can find them.
- Yes. No one likes cruel and unusual anything. Again, I’ll be happy to let you know exactly what those parameters are if it comes to that.
- Yes. I retain the right to do what I want outside the specific confines that the Constitution has outlined as responsibilities of the government, Federal or State.
- Yes. The States have rights and can choose not to participate in the Federal shit show.
- Ok. State sovereign immunity… I’m generally down. It’s certainly better than the “Federal”, top-down option.
- Presidents and Vice Presidents elected together… not sure on this one. I think I may prefer the Adams/Jefferson plan…
- Abolition. Well… Slaves seem like a lot of work, but I’m not sure. Maybe we should give that a trial revival. The Third World seems to like it… On the fence.
- Privileges or Immunities… Equal Protection… meh. The Feds haven’t observed this one for a while. What’s in it for me?
- Prohibits voting restrictions based on race. There are still rules. You still have to prove you’re qualified. Venezuelan isn’t a race. Try to keep up.
- Income Tax. Really? This one’s stupid. Tax is theft. Abolish the IRS. Audit the Fed. Not having it. I’ll pay for the stuff I want and will use as it comes up. Pound sand. I’ll keep my dough. Starve the Fed and a lot of other problems sort themselves…
- Senators chosen by popular vote. Nope. They were appointed by State legislatures for a reason. That worked better and was much more Republic-an and less Democrat-ic. Let’s go back to the original.
- Prohibition (repealed). Well good. Because, I wasn’t going to be observing that nonsense one way or the other.
- Women can vote… maybe. Depends on the woman.
- Presidential terms… does this really matter? I mean… we don’t have anybody at the wheel now…
- Repealing 18. Ok. But, I’ll BMOB when and where I choose. Get stuffed and stay out of my business. My body, my choice.
- Number of times Presidents can sit in the chair. Whatever. Again…
- DC gets electors… Why? They aren’t a State. The intent was for DC denizens to be short term residents and from somewhere else… where, presumably, they’d be getting some representation. Figure it out.
- Prohibits revoking voting rights on the basis of non-payment of taxes. Fine. See 16.
- Presidential succession. You see how that’s working out… right? Time to go back to the drawing board…
- Fine. 18 year-olds can vote. And, fight. And, drink. And, smoke. What?
- Congressional Salary. Take care of 16 as I’ve outlined, and this takes care of itself. Why are we paying those clowns anyway? Shouldn’t they have real jobs? Producing a good or service? Maybe something shovel-ready…
- Damn. I guess I’m out of amendments…. and I was just getting loose…
So, Joe… here’s the take away: Your terms are acceptable. You do your thing. I’ll do mine. From the sounds of it, you’ve a bit of a mess you need to deal with at home (like your crack-head kid and his laptop) before you get to start telling me how to live my life. I’ll leave you with a bit of appropriate entertainment as a parting gift…